Tuesday, January 19, 2010

QUOTA’s IN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM

Hi Friends, from last few years, I had an intention to write blogs on Political and Social cause. I postponed it consistently being lethargic. However, I have passed final resolution in 2010 for blogging my views. I hope everyone will enjoy it and will share your own views in front of the world.

Recently, you would have come across the news of increasing the Scheduled Castes / Scheduled Tribes Quota in the IIM’s and also Educational System. Every day, it was in the Headlines for recording views of political personalities on the subject. Since, India is a democratic country; everybody has a fundamental right of Freedom of Speech. Our Constitution stipulates the right to the citizen of India to put their personal views without being biased. But in the present scenario, I can assure you that the common man will adjust with the all the nuisance or things they come across. The common man feels comfortable to adjust with the situation then to agitate against the wrong doings. Please, don’t misunderstand that I am totally against the Quota system. As you will go further in the article, you will understand my view on Quota’s system.

In earlier year of Independence, the concept of Quota was initiated by our respected Political Leaders of that time with a basic aim of upgrading the living standard of the Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe. Such classes of people were considered as a Backward Class people. Hence, the concept of Quota was included with a good intention of helping them, as the situation prevailing during that time was worse. I would again like to quote that the concept of Quota was included with a good intention.

However, the current situation prevailing in the society is similar to the situation prevailing during the era of Independence. It is very painful to see that such classes of people have not been upgraded till now. Also, they are of the view to increase the quotas’ in all the system of the society as well as educational system. Recently, there was an agitation of including quotas’ in the IIM’s. Don’t you think so that it can be concluded from the recent agitation that in current scenario instead of upgrading their living standard, they are further downgraded.

Is these really correct or ‘the concept of Quota’ is been exploited?

I would not like to comment on the above question as it differs from person to person. I am not provoking the groupism of Upper Class people and Lower Class people. I am of simple thinking that after 60 years of Independence; at least the concept of Quota should not be included in the Education System.

I am of the view that the Goddess of Knowledge has given equal memory power to all the human beings, whether it is India or USA, or whether it is Gujarat, Maharashtra, Bihar or any other part of our land. Memory Power should be exploited more instead of exploiting Quota Concept. The Memory power will increase by exploiting more and more of it. It won’t decrease. I am not producing any facts of any kind in front of you. But to make my point clear, I would like to quote a real life example which I experienced during my College days. Yes, you are correct in thinking about admissions of Colleges.

I have done my graduation from one of the leading College. Although, I took my admission over there in Second Year of my Bachelor of Commerce Degree, I saw the merit list of admission of First Year which displayed the Name of the Student who got admission in the college and Name of Students who are in waiting list. As we all know, the criteria of admission in the colleges in based on Percentage scored in H.S.C. (10+2 Standard). I was shocked to see that last merit list of General Quota cut-off percentages was approximately 72%; however the cut-off percentage of Schedule Caste / Schedule Tribe and Quota was approximately 45%.

Don’t you think so that the student who scored 71% or didn’t make it due to shortfall of one or two marks would be regretting himself? And the Quota student, who got just below 50%, got the admission. Although nowadays, new reputed colleges are opening in different parts of India, still the above question remains the same. But, the student of my character, who wants the admission in the particular college, would feel sad and even curse himself for not scoring one or two marks more for making it into the admission merit list of the college.

This is a very small example relating to the effect of Quota system in common man’s life. May be we all are victim of these Quota system in one or other way, which we would have not come across in day to day life.

I would like to conclude, with my simple view that the Quota system either should not be there in the Education System or should be restricted more so that a good student gets do not suffer in his / her career.

I hope you will provide your views on my above article.

Disclaimer:
This article is not written for provoking any groupism in any way in the society. It’s strictly the author’s view which would differ from person to person. I put across my views under the Right of Freedom of Speech stipulated in Article 19 of the Constitution of India.

2 comments:

jatan said...

happy blogging, nice that u can take a stance-publicly. need young minds like yours, to react to the declining standards of the civil society.

jets said...

happy blogging. its nice that somebody is reacting to the declining standards of the civil society

CA Niraj Pandit